Talk:Hauppauge WinTV-Aero-m

From LinuxTVWiki
Revision as of 18:11, 25 August 2012 by CityK (talk | contribs) (intermediate save)
Jump to: navigation, search

When this device worked ...
it worked great ... though that comment comes with a few caveats:

  • The bulk of my Linux user experience with the device was done while under a kernel 3.4 (will expand upon the possible importance of this point in the section below these bullet pts)
  • Under Linux - I tried with the built-in antenna for OTA ATSC reception, but did so only under poor testing circumstances, and never was able to detect any ATSC channels ... never got around to testing under good circumstances, nor did I ever get around to attempting such under Windows
  • Under Linux, using an external antenna for OTA ATSC reception, its tuning sensitivity was great in this regard. Never got around to testing this under Windows (have no reason to believe it would have been any different then the excellent results obtained with the device while running under Linux)
  • I don't have cable TV any more, so did not get around to testing this feature (under either Linux or Windows)... in any regard, the provider in my area encrypts all but a barker channel or two, and maybe a few radio stations, so it is not really worth my time to bother checking except for being academic about it
  • Nearest DVB-T source is likely 5,000km away ... would have had to go {insert stereotypical broken english accent here}"back to old country"{/end sterotype} to test this feature
  • Under Linux, even if you switch to a v3.5 or better kernel, currently there are no userspace tools/apps that would allow for testing ATSC-M/H reception. I never got around to testing this under Windows. In any regard, there are only one or two M/H signals currently being tested with by broadcasters in my region, so it wasn't a pressing matter

Then it all went south
Astute readers will naturally have picked up on the "when this device worked" qualifier of that last section. You can also find similar alarming statements made by others on, amongst other websites, Amazon and Newegg. You see, my device, running under kernel 3.4, was working wonderfully for OTA ATSC (for the less then 2 months that I had had it for) until that stopped working (NOT cool).

Here is my current thought: either it coincidently borked itself just a day after I updated to kernel v3.5, or there is something (programmatically) wrong with the drivers. I will assume that the users on AMZN and the egg (whom also reported that the ATSC section of the device suddenly stopped working) are Windows users and that the problem afflicting me (running under Linux) also exits there too.

Here is what dmesg gives you when its not detecting the LG DT3305 (along with my annotations):

[    2.385654] usb 1-4.3: new high-speed USB device number 5 using ehci_hcd
[    2.471694] usb 1-4.3: New USB device found, idVendor=2040, idProduct=c61b
[    2.471696] usb 1-4.3: New USB device strings: Mfr=1, Product=2, SerialNumber=3
[    2.471697] usb 1-4.3: Product: WinTV Aero-M
[    2.471698] usb 1-4.3: Manufacturer: Hauppauge
[    2.471699] usb 1-4.3: SerialNumber: 4034349227
[    5.928662] dvb-usb: found a 'Hauppauge WinTV-Aero-M' in warm state.
[    5.928694] dvb-usb: will pass the complete MPEG2 transport stream to the software demuxer.
[    5.928695] dvb-usb: will pass the complete MPEG2 transport stream to the software demuxer.
[    5.928696] dvb-usb: will pass the complete MPEG2 transport stream to the software demuxer.
[    5.930549] DVB: registering new adapter (Hauppauge WinTV-Aero-M)
[    6.150608] lgdt3305_read_reg: error (addr 59 reg 0001 error (ret == -121)
[    6.150613] lgdt3305_attach: error -121 on line 1144
[    6.150614] lgdt3305_attach: unable to detect LGDT3305 hardware
[    6.150620] dvb-usb: no frontend was attached by 'Hauppauge WinTV-Aero-M'
[    6.150893] dvb-usb: Hauppauge WinTV-Aero-M successfully initialized and connected.
[    6.151369] mxl111sf: MxL111SF detected, v8_200 (0x18)
      ---> No LG2161 detected here either!   <---  
[    6.173309] tveeprom 14-0050: Hauppauge model 126001, rev F1G4, serial# 7817387
[    6.173313] tveeprom 14-0050: MAC address is 00:0d:fe:77:48:ab
[    6.173314] tveeprom 14-0050: tuner model is MaxLinear 111 (idx 164, type 4)
[    6.173316] tveeprom 14-0050: TV standards ATSC/DVB Digital (eeprom 0x80)
[    6.173317] tveeprom 14-0050: audio processor is None (idx 0)
[    6.173318] tveeprom 14-0050: has no radio, has IR receiver, has no IR transmitter
[    6.173755] usbcore: registered new interface driver dvb_usb_mxl111sf