If you are wondering why I have (again) removed your edits about the cx2388x capture abilities, its because you are missing a point of distinction:
- the IC is primarily an A/V decoder (i.e. it does analog to digital conversion)
- digital tv consists of a MPEG2 Transport Stream (i.e. its already digital ... no analog to digital conversion is required)
- in regards to digital tv, the cx2388x acts only as a bridge -- it accepts the MPEG2 TS and places it on the PCI bus
- the capture window that you keep referencing is STRICTLY in regards to an analog signal ... this does NOT apply to a digital TV signal
- that last point leads me to believe that you are confusing a compressed format decoder, such as a MPEG2 decoder vs. an A/V decoder ... they are NOT the same thing
hope that helps clarify
OK thanks yes rereading the specs that makes sense.... so something else on the board was not capable of passing the bandwidth required for HDTV signals (card was clearly marked SDTV ie up to 576p).