[linux-dvb] Re: Audio/Video Sync after remultiplexing (more)

"Marcus O.C. Metzler" wrote:

> [...]
>
>  > Are you planning to integrate this functionality into the driver?
>  >
> No, in the current form it would not be possible to put in the
> driver. It takes too much buffer space and time to be feasible.
>
>  > There are several reasons why I think that this is pretty important:
>  >
>  > - VDR splits long recordings into multiple files to avoid problems
>  >   with the file system and to utilize more than one physical disk.
>  >   I guess remuxing each of these files by themselves would cause
>  >   trouble at the connecting points.
>  >
>  > - VDR's "transfer mode" for viewing a (e.g. encrypted) channel that can
>  >   only be received through the second DVB card works by directly copying
>  >   the data stream from e.g. /dev/video1 to /dev/video0.
>  >
>  > - When watching a broadcast in "time shift" mode VDR replays the data
>  >   that has just been recorded.
>  >

> If the remuxer is implemented into vdr, there shouldn't be a problem
> with all of the above. I will see how that could be done...

Well, doing it in VDR would be ok, too. In that case I suggest it
should be done during the recording process. However, if it is too
time consuming for the driver, wouldn't that mean that it would also
be too time consuming for VDR? After all it would have to be done
"faster than real time"?!

In case we'll have to do it in VDR I'd appreciate any advice regarding
how exactly to do this. Please note that my latest version of VDR (not
publicly released yet) takes a PES data stream from the driver (i.e. the
driver is loaded without the previously necessary 'outstream=0').

> ...and maybe it is possible to change something in the driver to avoid remuxing
> altogether.

That, of course, would be the optimal solution! I sincerely hope
that you'll succeed with this :-)

> I still don't know exactly why these problems occur in the
> first place, but playing with the remuxer gave me some ideas.

>From looking at the PES data stream produced by the driver I also
would assume that there shouldn't be any problems. It all looks
just fine to em. But then again, my knowledge about MPEG is pretty
limited...

Greetings
Klaus