[linux-dvb] different picture size

prakash writes:
 > hello all,
 > these are the questions which came while playing with the dvb
 > card(!seimens),
 >
 > 1)I just recorded the streams(using NAPI) from fashion tv and tv tunisia
 >   and tried to playback with a standard decoder(mssg). The decoder says
 >   the picture size is 480x576? Is this size correct, if so, how is it
 >   displayed on the normal television?  How does the DVB card handel such
 >   format?
This is correct, the picture is stretched in x-direction by the hard-
or software decoder. This format is used to save satellite bandwidth
(= money) and quite usual. The SVCD PAL format for example is the same.

 > 2) Is it possible to have multiple dvb cards on the same system to receive
 >    multiple streams from the same satellite(freq), if the hardware does
 >    not allow(as of now)?

You can have multiple cards, but you need two LNBs if you want to view
channels completely independently. If you only have one LNB you can
only receive multiple streams from the same polarization and satellite
band.

Marcus

Dr. Marcus Metzler
mocm@netcologne.de                     http://www.metzlerbros.de