[linux-dvb] Re: ATSC/DTV question

Hi All--

Pardon me if some of this has already been addressed or it is old news.  I
just picked up the mailing list and this thread.

There are at least three boards on the consumer market that pick up an ATSC
stream:  Hauppauge's WinTV-D, Hauppauge's WinTV-HD, and Telemann's HiPix.
So far, the Telemann board is the only one with accompanying Windows
software to save an ATSC transport stream to disk.  It does so in one-minute
files with a Telemann header attached.  Hauppauge also has a beta stream
capture program for its WinTV-D that captures the stream raw.

Elecard's (www.elecard.com) MPEG decoder has a demuxer that can demux the
raw ATSC stream that the WinTV-D capture program saves to disk.  The demuxer
is in the form of a DirectShow filter and breaks out all of the program
streams in the transport stream--most often, US TV stations include at least
two video streams and two audio streams in one raw ATSC stream.

I suspect that the differences between the DVB and ATSC streams is *quite*
small, because Elecard was able to modify its demuxer in one evening to
handle the raw ATSC files.  However, as has been pointed out, I'm not sure
about all of the multiple program streams, channel mapping and other stuff
going on that are needed to fill out the functionality...

As for the hardware, both the HiPix and the WinTV-HD are based on the Janus
reference design, so if you support one, you can support the other (and any
subsequent cards) fairly easily.

Other substantial designs include Conexant's D-Stream design, which strips
all of the hardware decoding in favor of software-only decoding.  I think
that it uses a modified 878a chip and DMAs the ATSC stream to memory.  I
haven't seen any consumer cards based on this yet, if only because few
machines can handle the load on a 1080i stream.

IIRC, the bandwidth for ATSC is 6 MHz--channels can be found exactly where
they were with UHF.  Subchannels are just different substreams within the
raw ATSC stream.

Not surprisingly, the ATSC info can be found at www.atsc.org.

Please let me know if you need any testing done at dschmelzer@hotmail.com.
I have the HiPix and access to digital channels that have various types of
streams (480i, 480p, 720p, 1080i), but little coding knowledge or experience
(and very modest experience with Linux).  I can also provide some raw ATSC
files and HiPix headed files if you need them.

Regards--

Dan

-------
The DVB demux software works by filtering out IP packets from DSM-CC
sections, and DSM-CC sections from TS packets. (Checkout the standard  EN
101 192 (V1.2.1: 06/99) and the guidelines TR 101 202 (V1.1.1: 02/99) from
http://www.etsi.org/ or directly http://webapp.etsi.org/pda/QueryForm.asp)

First you must find out how ATSC encapsulates its IP data into the TS from
the ATSC standards (I would be interested to know when you find out). Then
modify demux.h for ATSC and demux.c for your hardware. (I suspect demux.h
changes will be small)

Next up is to find out what tuning parameters are needed for your ATSC
frontend, such as how are centre frequency, modulation parameters, bandwidth
etc. specified and which are always the same. e.g. DVB-T signals can be on
bandwidths of 6, 7 and 8 MHz, but maybe ATSC uses a fixed bandwidth. I would
also be delighted to find out what you discover for this. Then modify
frontend.h for ATSC and frontend.c for your hardware. /dev/ost/vsb8fe might
be a suitable location (but make sure you don't link into /dev/ost/qpskfe
instead)

Assuming you already know the correct tuning parameters and demux parameters
(PID, MAC etc.) - that's all you need for IP data.

However, if you need SI information (i.e. the service information tables)
then you will need to parse those to work out the demux parameters for a
particular stream. I think VDR has been doing this for DVB, and I'm pretty
sure ATSC uses DSM-CC sections to put SI in so maybe this would not be a big
task by reusing code.

Vague disclaimer: I've never done anything with ATSC (other than read a
little) so don't blame me if all goes wrong, but I hope this helps you.

Cheers,
Rod.