[linux-dvb] Re: demux.h version trouble

Hello Ralph (and the others),

> The reason for introducing it is that I wanted a way to make the
> implementation of the demux device hardware independent and working
> with more than one card.
i think set_type is nice, but it there's one problem:

some hardware (i'm thinking of the Avia-GTX/DMX for which i currently (try
to :) implement the nokia-api) does not allow to specify which queue (=feed)
it uses to get the data from that is sent to the decoder.

for example, on the Avia-GTX/DMX the first queue is always the video-queue,
the second one the one for audio and the third the one for teletext-data.

At the moment i have a 1:1-mapping for the feed <-> queue. And here lies the
problem: at the moment where dmx->allocate_ts_feed is called, i search for a
free queue for the new feed. Later on "set_type" is called - but at that
time, i would have to re-allocate the queue, since i did not know at the
allocate-time that it has to be a "special" (audio/video/teletext)-queue.

So i had to change the feed, but that's not possible. maybe - but that's
only a quick hack - it's possible to change
int (*set_type) (struct dmx_ts_feed_s* feed, int type, dmx_ts_pes_t
pes_type);
int (*set_type) (struct dmx_ts_feed_s** feed, int type, dmx_ts_pes_t
pes_type);
which would allow set_type to change the feed. another way - which wouldn't
break the current api - would be to implement another layer for the
feed->queue-mapping. if this problem is special to the avia-chipset, i would
implement it that way, but it would be nice if the allocate_ts_feed-call
include flags with the wanted "features" for that new feed.

if i read it right, it would just be a small change in dmxdev.c.

another question:

you use a DMX_TS_PES_PCR. Normally the video-stream carries the PCR-Data, so
wouldn't it be better to include a flag like "use this feed for PCR"? or did
i miss something?

bye,
felix domke

---