[linux-dvb] Re: Driver 0.8.1 and encrypted channels

Ralph Metzler wrote:

> Klaus Schmidinger writes:
>  > Ralph Metzler wrote:
>  > >
>  > > Klaus Schmidinger writes:
>  > >  > However, I also don't get the OSD any more.
>  > >  > The "Now/Next" and channel display still works, but the large
>  > >  > OSD menu doesn't appear any more (Ralph, did you modify anything
>  > >  > in that area?).
>  > >
>  > > I need about 15 Kbytes for the teletext VBI insertion which is now
>  > > supported. Since this is treated just like OSD it is taken from the
>  > > same SDRAM area as the other OSD. I'll see what I can do.
>  > >
>  > > Ralph
>  >
>  > Just out of curiousity: will this mean that the teletext will be
>  > inserted into the video signal (which comes out of the Cinch connector
>  > of the DVB-S card), or is this necessary to have the teletext data
>  > available from the /dev/vbi device?
>
> It is inserted into the video signal.
>
> Ralph

So this would mean that one can get the TT of the current channel,
at the rate delivered from that channel (don't know if that would
be any faster than that of analog TV).
I guess it wouldn't buffer _all_ pages and allow instant access,
would it?

A solution I would consider better would be to collect the TT pages
just like the EIT data and have all TT data from all channels
available and display it via the OSD.

Maybe you could make the teletext VBI insertion optional, thus
allowing the OSD to use the memory as it has done up to now?
Just a thought...

Klaus