[linux-dvb] Technicalities of channel searching

    [ The following text is in the "iso-8859-2" character set. ]
    [ Your display is set for the "ISO-8859-1" character set.  ]

> Hello,
>
> I am slightly confused over what tuning information is _required_ for the
> DVB-S card to receive a channel, and would be grateful for some
> clarification.  (The background to these questions is my search for "feeds",
> for which not all of the tuning information is always known).
>
> From what I understand, the frequency, polarity, symbol rate and fec give you
> access to a transport stream, which is split into small (188 byte) packets
> identified by their PIDs.  The Siemens card seems to auto-detect the fec - is
> it possible to auto-detect the symbol rate, or do you have to test various
> symbol rates "manually"?  The latter seems to be the way that "pscan" works.
>
> However, when searching for feeds (e.g. at 31.5W, 10967V, sr 5632, vpid 308,
> apid 256 - 1.1m dish in London), pscan-0.5 doesn't find a PMT in the stream -
> but I can tune into a clear signal using VDR.  How would I go about
> automatically searching for such transmissions?

I also try to receive/find feeds.
I think that you can try to find unknown pids  by setting up  demux PES filters for each PID value.
That means you start with PID=1, you set up the filter so the output goes to PC memory, then  you
check whether data are comming from the demux. You can guess if the data are video/audio by checking
the bitrate. Then you try PID=2, 3 and so on.
Note that it's only an idea and I did not check it if it could really work. Also at this moment I don't have an idea how long
does it takes to create a filter+receive some data from it.

Regards,
Frantisek

---