[linux-dvb] Re: Driver 0.8.1 and encrypted channels

Carsten Koch wrote:

> [...]
>
> An idea that I had a few months ago might work a lot better, though.
> I described it here but I am afraid people did not fully understand
> it, so I would like to try again:
>
> It seems Ralph has implemented re-insertion now, meaning that
> he can put the teletext information into the VBI of the video
> signal that comes out of the card's FBAS connector.
> If that is possible, it might also be possible to encode
> arbitrary text (i.e. text, that does not come from the TV station
> but from an application program) this way.
> Considering the numerous problems we see with the OSD, would it
> not be a perfect solution to simply output of the OSD this way?
> What I mean is: create an API that hands the text of ONE specific
> teletext page over to the driver for re-insertion.
> Please note that teletext is blindingly fast (much faster than
> our currect OSD) when it has to transmit only one page.
> You could leave the TV set in teletext mode and it would
> display the "teletext-OSD" if there is any, otherwise it
> would automatically display just the picture.
>
> Would that not solve all the problems with the current OSD
> (performance and reliability)?  We would even get a larger
> OSD which forces us to page less often. And the old OSD could
> go where it belongs: down the drain. Freeing up all of the
> memory in the firmware that it required.
>
> Still this may be a kludge. The best solution would of course
> be to fix the OSD so it becomes fast and reliable even when
> it covers the entire screen. Maybe with his growing experience
> in the firmware area, Ralph can even pull this off? Would be
> great!

I believe I did understand what you meant back then, but I would
hate to have to switch my TV into teletext mode all the time.
Besides, I don't know whether TT allows full pixel graphics.
AFAIK it only supports block graphics, which wouldn't allow
for the kind of progress display and editing markers VDR implements
now.

So, if I could choose I would prefer an improved OSD over teletext
any time ;-)

Greetings
Klaus