[linux-dvb] Re: 4:2:2 ? - Hardware decoder?

    [ The following text is in the "iso-8859-2" character set. ]
    [ Your display is set for the "ISO-8859-1" character set.  ]

Frantisek,

I thought that would be the case - i.e. it is possible to receive the stream
but that hardware MPEG decoder on the Siemens card would be unable to display
the signal.  What is the maximum bit-rate that the Siemens card can deliver?

At least on my PC I use for satellite (a 300 MHZ Pentium), a software decoder
would stuggle.  Does anyone know if any of the MPEG2 decoder cards available
(preferably with linux drivers - e.g. the KFIR encoder/decoder?) can handle
these streams?

Please let me know if I can do anything to help with your experiments.

Best wishes,

Dave.

On Thursday 25 January 2001 18:10, you wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I think you confuse two different things (one is MPEG decoder input format
> and second MPEG decoder output format used for the the video encoder which
> produces analogue TV out).
>
> To answer the question, Siemens DVB card cannot decode MPEG-2 4:2:2
> pictures, because the MPEG decoder is only MainProfile@Main Level. On the
> other hand the tuner can receive the signal; and I am now working on a
> software that allows to capture these 4:2:2 streams and it will then be
> possible to play them using a software only MPEG player (supporting MPEG
> 4:2:2). Up to now I was able to capture one  second of an EBU broadcast and
> play it on my PC. But I guess there will be problem with the bitrate -
> currently the MPEG-2 - 4:2:2 bradcasts (on Eutelsat W3)  use  10 or 21
> Mbits/s for a  single channel!
>
> Regards,
> Frantisek

---