[linux-dvb] Re: Driver 0.8.1 and encrypted channels

Andreas Poethke wrote:

> On Saturday 27 January 2001 12:44,  Klaus Schmidinger wrote:
>
> > The good news is that as far as I was able to observe there is no more
> > picture "jumping" - a major improvement! Well done, Marcus&Ralph!
>
> Please take a look at "ARD". record a file of about 5 minutes. In my
> recording/playing code there are still some lost images and weak picture
> "jumping" in this channel. do you confirm to this?

I just recorded/replayed a longer sequence from ARD and yes, I did see
a few occasional jumps in the picture and also audio dropouts.
It would appear that the rate at which this happens has to do with
the kind of contents that is broadcast. For example, during my test
there first was a sequence that came from a "filmed" tv series.
During this there were only very, very few glitches. Then (on the same
channel, ARD) they switched to a signal from their studio cameras,
and then there were more glitches.

> > However, recordings taken from the ZDF channel (even with 'cat', so
> > VDR can be ruled out) show heavy audio dropouts when replayed.
> > If a ZDF recording taken with the current CVS driver is replayed
> > with driver 0.8.1 it still shows audio dropouts, although not that
> > many.
>
> yes. i also observed audio dropouts on zdf recordings.

Another test on ZDF showed a lot less dropouts than before.
When I first tested ZDF with the new driver, there was a report
about the ongoing "ski flying" contest that had very heavy audio
dropouts. During another test at a later time there was a news
broadcast, which had only a few audio dropouts.

Maybe these observations can help Marcus&Ralph...

Klaus