[linux-dvb] Re: Multiplexing vs. new driver API

"Marcus O.C. Metzler" wrote:

> Klaus Schmidinger writes:
>  > As far as I understand the new API, it delivers video and audio
>  > through two separate devices, and can also replay the two data streams
>  > through separate devices. Does this mean that the occasional video
>  > and/or audio glitches that were caused by the non-optimal multiplexing
>  > in the old driver are no longer going to be a problem with the new
>  > API - or are the two data streams remultiplexed "behind" the two devices,
>  > before the data is sent to the DVB card (and thus still have the same
>  > problems)?
>
> It doesn't deliver through /dev/ost/video or audio. You have to get
> the TS from  /dev/ost/dvr or set PES filters. The other 2 devices are
> only for playback. Since we have to reconstruct the TS in the driver
> (not for the budget cards), you will still have the muxing
> problems. For playback you don't have to write into separate devices,
> you can write the muxed PS/PES stream into /dev/ost/video. There is no
> muxing magic behind the devices. Have a look at tuxplayer or
> ntuxplayer for playback of PS/PES and at ntuxplayer for playback of TS
> (there are 2 ways to do that).

So is there _any_ way to get the same kind of data out of the new API as
it was delivered (by default) from /dev/video of the old API (I believe
that's what's called PS/PES)? Either from one device, or as separate
video and audio streams from two devices. The TS is of no use to VDR,
it needs the PS/PES data as before.

I'm really wondering why the new API had to give up the /dev/video
way of doing things. IMHO it was such a nice thing that you could simply
do a 'cat /dev/video > file' to record (and the other way round to replay).
As far as I see now accessing the DVB API is a lot more trouble - or am
I missing something here? Is there some great advantage in the new API
that I just don't see?

Klaus