[linux-dvb] Re: mp3 player with osd support?

Klaus Wolf wrote:

> Hi Folks,
>
> do you know any way to use an mp3 player over the dvb-s osd screen to play
> mp3 musik.
> I want to use the soundcard to play the mp3 musik and want to controll the
> mp3 player over my lirc remote controll
> do you have any idea ?

I have implemented a VDR extension that allows you to select
an MP3 play list via the OSD and play it back via the DVB-S
sound outputs.

It's not perfect yet. In particular it has these 3 "features":

1) It is a perfect test case for the driver bug (ARM reset
   loop) that I described in
    http://linuxtv.org/mailinglists/linux-dvb/msg03203.html

   After you played an MP3 play list using my VDR extension,
   as soon as you switch to a different channel, the driver
   goes into the ARM reset loop.
   You have to reload it to fix that.

2) It plays the list song by song until the end of the
   list or you stop the playback.
   There are no fancy features such as skipping a song,
   etc. yet.

3) I made the modification to VDR 0.71. I have not ported
   it to VDR 0.72 yet.

Klaus wants to integrate this into an official vdr release
in the future. I hope to have time to look into the above
three items before that.

Carsten.

---