[linux-dvb] Re: MPEG2 and *.vdr

Manfred Schmidt-Voigt wrote:
> So at the time I have nothing on CD but a filled up disk in my
> "Wohnzimmer-Linux"-PC and a lot of real good movies on the air. I think I
> have to turn back to tho "old-economy-fashioned" VCR.

I agree with you that the driver should deliver MPEG2 data
that are compatible with as many other programs as possible -
even with windoze stuff.

Unfortunately, this is not yet the case. But I do not think your
only option is to go back to an analogue VCR. Here are two ideas:

1) Simply reduce VDR's MAXVIDEOFILESIZE in dvbapi.c to a size
   that will fit on your CD. Then archive the VDR file directly.
   OK, until the driver delivers correctly multiplexed MPEG2,
   this will work on no VCD- or DVD-player, but at least it's
   archived and VDR will be able to play it back.
   Also, it will save you a lot of time and frustration.

2) Buy one or two of those cheap 80 GB hard disks and just
   leave the stuff on the disk. OK, it will cost a bit
   more money per GB, but it will save you even more time
   and frustration. ;-)
   See    http://www.geizhals.at/de/?cat=hd&sort=r

Carsten.