[linux-dvb] Re: Using a low-budget card as a secondary card.

Emil Naepflein wrote:
> And as Carsten wrote, it would also help for recording multiple channels
> on der same transponder concurrently. But I assume this would be a
> rather seldom occurrence.

Seldom maybe, but not at all useless.
For example, ARD, Bayerisches Fernsehen, Hessen Fernsehen, Arte,
SR Fernsehen, WDR, BR Alpha, Suedwest BW and Phoenix all share
transponder 71 on Astra 1G. See http://www.lyngsat.com/astra1g.shtml

I would guess that the real problem here is: Klaus already has
three DVB-S cards, so he has not a lot of need for another card.
As long as Klaus does not have a budget card, I would assume that
he will not implement vdr support for it.

On the other hand, if I understand the previous discussion on this
list about the multplexing problems correctly, the budget card
delivers a correct stream that does not have to be re-multiplexed
to be 100% intact. Is that correct? Maybe THAT would be a much
stronger argument for the budget card than the option of recording
many programs simultaneously?

Also, is there a chance that vdr will simply work with the budget
card as soon as vdr supports the new API?

Carsten.