[linux-dvb] Re: Using a low-budget card as a secondary card.

"Marcus O.C. Metzler" wrote:

> Klaus Schmidinger writes:
>
>  > VDR will do the recording just like shown in the DVB/apps/test/test_pes.c
>  > example. If that is also possible with the budget card, then it will work.
>  > The data will be stored as multiplexed PS/PES, just like in VDR
>  > version 0.7x.
>
> Be careful , a video PES in a TS usually doesn't contain the length
> field, i.e. it is set to 0. Furthermore, their length is not bound by
> the maximal possible value for an unsigned  16 bit number,
> i.e. 0xffff. ARD and ZDF are masters in very long video PES, this is
> part of the reason for the muxing problem. Unfortunately, this is all
> conform with the MPEG standard.
>
> Marcus

So, what exactly am I supposed to do?
The NAPI delivers video and audio as two separate data streams.
I want to store them in ONE file as a multiplexed PS/PES stream,
just like the 0.8.2 driver did when reading from /dev/video.
I am also thinking about storing the AC3 digital audio data as
a second audio stream in that file. Do you think this will be
feasible? When replaying, VDR would then filter out the second audio
stream and send it to whatever code or program necessary to play
the AC3 sound. The video and "normal" audio data would be sent into
/dev/ost/video as usual.

Isn't there some "standard" that says how a multiplexed PS/PES stream
has to be created in order to be replayed without problems? If the
"very long video PES" blocks are conform with the MPEG standard,
why is it so hard to handle them?

Klaus