[linux-dvb] Re: Total sound loss during recording from ZDF.

Guido Fiala wrote:

> Am Dienstag, 17. April 2001 21:08 schrieben Sie:
> > I doubt that this really fits the situation, but I once discovered that ZDF
> > is one of those stations sometimes changing the sound format - but I guess
> > not in the middle of a movie. So I once recorded "Nightmare" - which was
> > horribly cut - but that's a different story :-) so they switched the sound
> > format from 192kbit/s stereo to - I'm unsure maybe 128kbit/s MONO -  just
> > at the beginning of the movie and at the end right back to normal 192
> > stereo. Many Programs for editing PVA streams or mp2 streams crashed when
> > coming across these boundaries :-)
>
> Mmm, if it's standards conform our standards conform driver/mplex should be
> able to handle it under all circumstances ;-)
>
> Anyway, have exactly the same problem as Carsten described, and mplex does'nt
> repair it.
>
> > I think you should analyze it further by demuxing the recorded file and
> > checking audio and video seperately - and maybe "binary cutting" the
> > recorded file after the loss of sound to check wether a demultiplex brings
> > the audio back right after the loss point - understand ? What I'm trying to
> > explain is: Cut the file into pieces. Take a piece which has no sound (from
> > behind the sound-loss-point). Demux it. Check if there is some audio or
> > not... Maybe thats what I wanted to say :-)
>
> Did it: you are right, after the break there is no more audio in the stream
> :-((
> Driver bug or vdr-bug? (i'am still using vdr0.71b4/dvb0.81+ or so).

I can hardly imagine that it would be a VDR bug, since VDR simply
shovels the data it gets from the driver into the file. It does look
at the data to find the frame boundaries, but once it has syncronized,
no data is dropped. So I would assume either a sound failure on the
ZDF side - or a driver problem.

Klaus