[linux-dvb] AW: 23% free but ReiserFS seems to be full

> Well reiserfs is not very reliable. There are several conditions when
> deleting files or directories that disk space is not given
> back. To fix
> this problem call
> reiserfsck --rebuild  /dev/yourpartition
> Therefor you should take the latest reiserfs utilities from
> http://www.reiserfs.com.

Thanx for the hint :-)
Maybe it would be a good idea to create a cron job cehecking the
timers.conf and than do that every night.

> In most cases everything works after the fsck utility rebuilt the
> structures. Usually a lost+found directory is created and you can find
> fragments of the lost disk space as files there. So it seems
> to me that
> reiserfs is not ready for production systems and it is no real
> journaling filesystem since it does not properly recover from error
> conditions.
> btw: Some users reported a bigger corruption than before calling
> reiserfsck!

Yes, it looks like it is not the filesystem I am looking for. But the
chances to see a OpenSource NTFS5 driver are to small :-(

> I would recommend using XFS available from
> http://linux-xfs.sgi.com/projects/xfs/ which is more reliable even if
> they still call it beta release.

Yepp, I just downloaded it from Freshmeat, but fist I have to prepare a
test enviroment. Right now it looks very Red Hat related. It also looks
like a lot of work to get XFS working smoothly on SuSE and the version
number is at 0.1.something. So is there another fs that I could take a
look at? Or do I have to go back to ext2?

So long,

Joerg-Oliver Todamm