From: Dave Chapman [mailto:dave@dchapman.com]
Sent: Saturday, April 21, 2001 2:20 AM
To: linux-dvb@linuxtv.org
Subject: [linux-dvb] Suggestion for channel tuning

After reading ISO-13818-1 (the MPEG-2 standards document that defines the
structure of a Transport Stream), I've been experimenting with tuning
channels without knowing their video and audio pids - just the service_id /
program_number.

I've written a small program that tunes a channel based on only the
frequency, polarity, symbol rate and program number.  This works well, and
the scanning of the PAT (to get the PID of the PMT), PMT (to get the ES
PIDs)
and SDT (to get the name of the channel and broadcaster - possibly
unneccesary) adds between 0.1 and 0.5 seconds to the tuning time.  This
depends on luck and how many channels are on the transponder.

Has anyone else had any experience of tuning like this?  It seems to me that

ISO-13818 is implying that the only parameters needed to tune a channel is
the service_id.  This makes sense to me - at least on Astra 28, the channels

change PIDs quite frequently.

Regards,

Dave.

linux-dvb" as subject.