[linux-dvb] Re: SOft CI

----- Original Message -----
From: "Emil Gruno" <EMG@drs.telia.dk>
To: <linux-dvb@linuxtv.org>
Sent: Thursday, April 26, 2001 10:29 AM
Subject: [linux-dvb] SOft CI

> Would it not be possible to make a "soft" CI interface for emulating CAMs
> and so on....? =))
>
> 1. Nice thing for experimenting.
>
> 2. Its really hard to find the CI option card in denmark. =/

I can see three main reasons:

1) The common scrambling algorithm is not public (see www.etsi.org)

2) The conditional access systems are proprietary (Mediaguard, Viaccess,
Conax, etc ...) and not documented, although a company (Aston) has succeeded
in creating a Mediaguard CAM without buying the SECA license.

3) I think it will be hard to do the descrambling and display in real time

But there is another solution :

Since the common scrambling algorithm is implemented in the AV7110, I think
it would be possible to write a firmware for the Siemens/Hauppauge board
that can emulate all the conditional access systems, without any external
CAM. You'll also have to use an external smartcard interface connected to
the serial port ("Phoenix interface" for example) and write the software to
dialog with the smartcard.
But unfortunately we don't have the source code of the AV7110 firmware. If
you have time enough, try to do reverse engineering, if it is allowed in
your country ...

Very interesting, but realy not easy, I think ...