[linux-dvb] Re: Software decoding of DVB streams

Dave Chapman wrote:

> On Thursday 26 April 2001  3:37 pm, you wrote:
>

> > I think that this approach has lots of potential.  I even managed to hack
> > test_dvr to deliver off-the-air data to oms. It wasn't very tidy, but did
> > work. It would sure end the complaints about decoder hardware limitations
> > and lack of manufacturer specs.
>
> I'm not sure what limitations you are talking about here.

I'm referring to the secret firmware and library specs for the TI decoder chip
used on the Siemens card and its inability to retrieve a complete transponder
stream, easily handle ac3 . . .

> I'll have a look at OMS tonight - I'm very interested in looking at your hack
> to get it to play live DVB streams and would be happy to work on improving
> it.  Which version of OMS did you use?

I used the cvs version of oms. The PAT/PMT stuff is not needed, just change the
pids in decaps_ts.c. I created a fifo to pass the data. For xine, I used the
PAT/PMT generation code in vlms (the videolan mini-server). Although, I read
that until recently, the dvb driver used to create these.

What's really needed is a "dvb" input routine/plugin for xine/oms that talks to
the dvb driver and controls the card. This is probably not a lot of work for
somebody who has used libdvb before.

> Dave.

Steve