[linux-dvb] Re: Software decoding of DVB streams

Dave,

I have found the following players that either display or are susceptible to displaying
transport streams. Check out their list archives for more background. I've installed and run
all of them.

gstreamer (www.gstreamer.net)
    Only ps support, but one of the developers did some work on ts a year ago and is
interested in restarting the effort.

vlc (www.videolan.org)
    Supports ps/ts. The ts parser requires a PAT/PMT in the stream.

xine (xine.sourceforge.net)
    Now ps, but ts currently in the works, no eta.

oms (www.linuxvideo.org)
    Supports ps/ts. The ts parser requires setting the a/v pids at compile time.

I've used both oms and vlc to play ts streams captured from my Nova card. It consumes about
40-60% of a 600Mhz PIII. You really need xvideo and its driver support for your display
card. I'm running stock 4.0.3 w/ a G400. Both have video/sound sync problems. Could just be
latency in my sound system.

I think that this approach has lots of potential.  I even managed to hack test_dvr to
deliver off-the-air data to oms. It wasn't very tidy, but did work. It would sure end the
complaints about decoder hardware limitations and lack of manufacturer specs.

Anybody interested?

Steve