[linux-dvb] 23% free but ReiserFS seems to be full - Solved

Hi,

maybe someone else will run into this so here is the solution to my
problem.

The problem has been that ReiserFS could not write more than 32GB with
the SuSE Standard Kernel 2.2.18 as it comes with SuSE 7.1 (ReiserFS
3.5.x)
The whole artition of 40GB has been used, but whenever I came close to
the 32GB boundary I received a segfault within the ReiserFS. VDR and
other applications could request the amount of free space and got the
information "far amount of disk space availabe" but could not write due
to a limitation or bug within ReiserFS.

Upgrading to Kernel 2.4.2 as it comes with the distribution and
remounting with the -conv option as mentioned in the list helped. But
later I had serveral problems accessing files. It was obviously that
there were problems to handle the old files together with the new ones
when shuffeling around large amounts of data. So I copied all files over
the network and reformated the drives and now everythin seems to be ok.

That is, what I have found.

Just to mention: DVB 0.8.2 and VDR 0.72 compiles and works flawelss with
this SuSE 2.4.2 kernel. I will head for the 2.4.3-ac.xx to resolve some
ReiserFS flaws and my WLAN problems this weekend. I try to spend my time
on different things until the next VDR release for the new API is
available :-)
Then I hope to put my efforts to push the limits of VDR, like my
enhancement to support ACL and a simple lock mechanism. Maybe Klaus like
to have a look at mbuffer
(http://www.rcs.ei.tum.de/~maierkom/privat/software/mbuffer/). Seems to
be a portable, multi-threaded replacement for buffer. I don't know if
this is usable or not.

So long,

Joerg-Olver Todamm