[linux-dvb] Re: Where to find general DVR discussion?

On Saturday 28 April 2001  8:49 pm, Stephen Davies wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I'd like to build a digital video box.

You're not alone.

> I'd love to use DVB - the card works, no issues with trying to encode
> video from analogue, epg right there with program info, vdr is out there
> and works.

I don't think we are quite at that stage, but will be in a month or two.

> However, DVB reception seems pretty useless for an english speaking
> European - there are few free-to-air channels, and no option for Sky
> Digital reception using a PC card (thanks, BSkyB!)

I am in the same situation as you - there is very little FTA of interest
aimed at the UK.  One (expensive) option would be to subscribe (legally - see
the adverts from companies like Bentley Walker in What Satellite magazine) to
a foreign broadcaster.  Some of these broadcasters (e.g. the Spanish Canal
Digital) broadcast movies and series with both local and original-language
soundtracks.

There have been rumours of BSkyB releasing a Videoguard CAM, but I don't
think it fits in with their policy of close control over the hardware.

> So - that reduces me to a system which has to capture analogue video,
> control a sky digital box using infra-red or something, etc etc.  Pretty
> much a Tivo.

Another option would be digital cable TV.  I haven't heard of any success
stories in the UK, but it should be possible (anyone?).  There are DVB-C
cards available and they are supported by the driver and VDR.  The only
possible problem is the encryption method used.  I know that this combination
is working in Germany for some users.

> There are inevitably others around who are building or have built such a
> box.  Can anyone point me to where I can find them?

This list is the only place I know about - maybe someone else will post some
links?

Dave.