[linux-dvb] trying to get dvb and vdr to work

hello,

i have a wintv dvb-s card with common interface, a duron 750mhz pc with
a linuxfromscratch 2.4.2 kernel/gcc 2.95.2/glibc 2.1.3/xfree4.0.2 system, and
i try to get this to run.

i compiled and installed the siemens-dvb-0.8.2 package, and lsmod shows
the dvb module chain. Also in my kernel.log and sys.log the driver seems to
initialize the card without a single error or warning.

Then i wanted to get a tv picture. My sat-dish is pointing to hotbird,
and on the windows software i get tv with it.
i copied the hotbird dvbrc to the user directory. and first tried to get
gVideo to work. It starts up, but i dont get any tv picture with it.
i tried it a lot, one thing that i noticed, is, the gVideo Program complains
about not finding /dev/ost/sec0, /dev/ost/frontend0 and others in /dev/ost.
these devices exist and have been made by the devices.napi file( ithink that
was the name, a shell script to create those devices). Nevertheless, gVideo
doesnt find them. I changed permissions a lot, made them writable, no differnce.

I read about gVideo being no longer the one to use, instead tried tuxzap,
but i got similar errors, installing this one, as described in an email i read
today in this list, this autoconf problem, i tried ./autogen.sh, but
it stopped with errors, and i dont know autoconf enough to debug it.
So i still didnt have a program to test the driver and watch tv.

Then i tried to install and run vdr 0.72 version. it compiled ok, found it
in /var/log/user.log, also seems ok, but now, how can i see a tv picture?
I read various stuff about the composite video output, tried to connect a cynch
adapter coming with the card, to a scart plug, using a chart from the linux-dvb
FAQ site. Can this CVBS-output be used for this? Or do i have to take
the J2 connector? Did i misunderstand the FAQ?

So far i dont get a picture on my TV set. Same when i connect the CVBS video
connector to TV and use the windows software.
If possible, i would like to build in a scart female plug into the pc box,
internally connected to J2.

i am working on this for some days(nights;-)) and am getting nervous with this.
Maybe someone of you developers could give me a hint, what might be the problem?
I will provide whatever logfile or errormessages(tuxzap, gVideo) you may need.

Another question (a bit further along) is, if it is possible to get more than
one audio track seperated (maybe up to 8 different tracks) and record or
play them with maybe different soundcards, or whatever maybe necessary.
They all are associated with a single tv-dvbs-channel.

If anyone finds the time to give me a reply, i will appreciate it a lot.

thank you

Dieter Maas