[linux-dvb] Re: Tuning with driver 2001-05-28

Matthias Weingart wrote:

> On Tue, 5 Jun 2001, Johannes Stezenbach wrote:
>
> > Solution: If one of the DMX_SET_PES_FILTER ioctls returned EBUSY,
> > retry them all (i.e. set A/V/TT, and when one failed, set A/V/TT again).
> > If you have set a teletext PID for some channel, and then tune to a
> > channel w/o teletext PID, reset the teletext PID to 0x1fff (which will
> > generate an error, but the hardware filter will be freed).
>
> This is a very crazy behaviour of the driver, really. This "trial and
> error and retry" is not pulchritudinous.

I discussed this with Ralph quite a while ago, and as a result of that
the pids_off switch was introduced. The pids_off=0 behaviour is what
I want on my PC, and the pids_off=1 behaviour is for the STB.

>  Another solution is to compile the driver with pids_off=1, right?

It's an insmod (loadtime) parameter, it does not require recompilation.

> Why such nasty workaround, when we can do it better?

Well, it works for me ;-)
Really, pids_off=0 is a convenience hack for DVB cards with
hardware demux/MPEG-decoder. The problem is not the hack itself,
but that its implications aren't well documented.

Johannes