[linux-dvb] Re: Tuning with driver 2001-05-28

Ralph Metzler wrote:

> Well, such a "close" function is already available. It is called "close()".
> Closing the file will always close the filter ...

Not true. The filter remains set in the demux hardware, or else
you could not watch TV with xawtv after quitting e.g. ntuxzap.

IIRC the firmware has allocated fixed filters for video, audio
and teletext, and complains when someone tries to set e.g. an
audio filter with the same PID as set in the video filter.

At the time we discussed this, the firmware had no knowledge of
whether a filter is regularly open, or just still open because
of pids_off=0, and thus could not act accordingly.

Has this changed?

> I could change the behavior of the filters so that they already free their
> resources when they are stopped. (Several people already proposed this to
> me). his would only brake applications which rely on filters being
> available once they were opened. If I change the driver as described
> above it could happen that an open but stopped filter cannot be
> started again but if you prefer it this way I'll do it.

If you ask me: Don't change anything.

Johannes