[linux-dvb] Re: AW: Re: Auto-shutdown after recording

Peter Seyringer wrote:

> Hello!
>
> > What happened to the RTC-programming to wake up ATX-boards?
> > -So vdr could program it's wake up-time itself as well.
> There was a discussion about this for about two month. The result was, that
> you cannot set the timer in your CMOS.

You can, at least on my board. apsleep does set the alarm time and my
BIOS uses it as well.

  apmsleep -n

so that it does not sleep/suspend the system. This time can be seen in
the bios option "wake every day" (ASUS P5B).

So the feature works like:

- enable the APM wakeup
- shut down the system (button or poweroff)
- system restarts at pre-set time.

I was thinking of a similar solution where VDR probably does not need to
be involved:

* at regular intervals check if the computer is active (load, processes
or whatever, perhaps even let it run if other computers in the net are
active)
* if it is not, find out about the next time a recording will be started
* if this is say within one hour, let the system run
* otherwise write the time to the CMOS
* shutdown the system

-Andreas
--