[linux-dvb] Re: AW: Re: Auto-shutdown after recording

> > There was a discussion about this for about two month. The result was,
> > that you cannot set the timer in your CMOS.
>
> You can, at least on my board. apsleep does set the alarm time and my
> BIOS uses it as well.
>
>   apmsleep -n

For me it does'nt work, the call _never_ returns (and does'nt write into
ALARM), although the apm-kernel driver detects an apm compliant bios...
<4>Board Vendor: Tekram Technology Co., Ltd..
<4>Board Name: P6B40-A4X-i440BX.
<4>Board Version: Rev. 1.0.<6>apm: BIOS version 1.2 Flags 0x07 (Driver
version 1.14)
<3>ACPI: System description tables found
<6>ACPI: System description tables loaded
<5>ACPI: APM is already active, exiting

> I was thinking of a similar solution where VDR probably does not need to
> be involved:
>
> * at regular intervals check if the computer is active (load, processes
> or whatever, perhaps even let it run if other computers in the net are
> active)

Mmm, as discussed before switching it off to often does worse than let it run
for say 2..X hours doing nothing (maybe sleeping).
Thats why you need some information about the near _future_ of system load,
that information is spread throughout the system (if not a standalone
vdr-box) - cron, at, vdr are just samples.
I would prefer deativating the shutdown so long someone is logged in and
automatically activating it if logout for x minutes.

Just my 2 cents,
	Guido