[linux-dvb] Re: Convert VDR-Files (DVB-SMPEG2) to VCD (MPEG1) ?

Hi,

On Jun 4, 23:12, Axel Gruber wrote:
> Subject: [linux-dvb] Convert VDR-Files (DVB-SMPEG2) to VCD (MPEG1) ?
> Hello to everybody.
>
> Does anyone succesfully converted a File recorded with VDR and the DVB-S to a
VCD comparible file (MPEG1 and PAL-Resolution)

> Only with LINUX !

I have already produced quite a few SVCDs with the Linux-only process described
on my home page:

http://www.pxh.de/fs/svcd/index.html

The same software could be used for VCD production with different parameters.

> I have only success with MPLEX and the windows-Software "Flask Encoder".
>
> But i want to do it only by using LINUX.
>
> I have several tryes with several transcoder software some time ago - but
allways the sync between A/V was lost !
>-- End of excerpt from Axel Gruber

With my process I was able to preserve sync. There have been reports, however,
about sync drifts (video and audio slowly getting more out of sync) during the
recoding. These might be related to specific broadcasts where audio packets are
left out by the encoder or lost due to bad reception (maybe my CATV reception
is more reliable then satellite broadcast, so I don't see this problem). If you
demultiplex audio and video for separate treatment, synchronization is lost.
There is a Windows tool called PVAinstrumento (http://www.offeryn.de/dv.htm)
that is said to repair such streams.

Warning: The last time I made a SVCD the recording was done with VDR-0.72 and
DVB-0.8. I haven't tested yet with the new CVS driver and the new VDR-0.8.

Peter

--
Peter Hofmann                  e-mail: junk@pxh.de