[linux-dvb] Re: bypassing the decoding-chip?

Boris Schäfer wrote:
> is it possible to bypass the decoding-chip on the Siemens-DVB-Cards?
>
> This feature would be very nice to watch other video formats (like DivX)
> or pictures on the tv through the tv-out of the DVB-cars.

This has been discussed here a while ago.
As far as I remember, the consensus was that the DMA interface
of the DVB-S card is too slow for the card to display uncompressed
images.

So the only way to display arbitrary images using the DVB-S card
is to re-encode the arbitrary images into I-frames and send that
stream of I-frames to the card.

Somebody had a concern that this may not be fast enough on a slow
machine. I believe he is wrong, though, because I ahve heard of
I-frame only MPEG encoders that take uncompressed video from your
analog TV card and convert it into I-frame only MPEG in real time
(25 FPS) on a 400 MHz machine.

Carsten.