[linux-dvb] Re: Bad pervormance with reiserfs

On Tuesday, 12. June 2001 17:53, Matthias Weingart wrote:
> To complete it with my experiences (see below my first posting):
> Readahead can be set only to off (=0) or on (>0 any value greater 0 works)
> with my maxtor drive (readahead is set for the ide drive and depends
> on the drive used? is this true?). With any value greater 0 it behave the
> same: on playing a video the harddisk is accessed every 2..5 seconds
> (hd-led) but sometimes harddisc transfer "hangs" for a short time and the
> resulting video gap is visible (picture is frezed for one second). So
> readahead enabled with reiserfs is worse!

After all that bad reports about ReiserFS i have to state:

I have a Maxtor with a 37GB ReiserFS partition working fine here with vdr, no
problems (Tekram BX with only UDMA33 controller, i get hdparm rates of
16MB/sec).

I use this partition for grabbing dv-videos via linux1394 with 3.3 MB/sec
too. (that is several times more than vdr needs) It just went's critical if
the partition is filled up to >91% (mainly because i store a lot of small
files on it as well).

Is it possible that your hardware is buggy or some chipset driver broken?