[linux-dvb] Re: Prevent recordings from deletion

Hi...

Quoting Matthias Schniedermeyer (ms@citd.de):

> > > Then it is IMPOSSIBEL to delete anything with that dir. (I don't think
> > > that Klaus has implemendet a function that checks the rights and sets them
> > > "right(tm)" so the files can be deleted)

> > If would see a file tagged as uneraseable, when it's mode is 400.
>
> UNIX-Beginner?

> For deleting a file you ONLY need permission to write the DIRECTORY. The
> file can belong to "root" and have mode "000". You can still delete it. If
> you don't have permission to write the dir you can't even delete a file
> that belongs to you and has mode "777". (And you can't create new files.
> You can only change existing ones)

You mix UNIX-Basics vs. suggested Application behaviour.

> > You can delete it anyway, but a dialog with the request to confirm
> > before a delete would be nice.
>
> I don't think a dialog is possibel in this situation. There are good
> chances that you aren't "available" when VDR asks you if you want to
> delete the recording.

VDR could check the file mode. An when it is set 400, VDR could assume, then
it should not be deleted. So VDR would always skip this file. The question
of being available or not is irrelevant. Browsing manually in the recordings
directory and trying to delete such a marked file would invoke a confirm dialog.

This is a solution i would prefer. In this case I do not care about the
permissions and possiblities others have.

Bye... SP.
--
Szymon Polom                      | GPG Key-ID 1024D/E6EA36F2
convergence integrated media GmbH | http://www.convergence.de