[linux-dvb] Re: Channel switching problems with VDR

Andreas Mueller wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm using a single Hauppauge DVB-S card (I guess the old model) with
> vdr-0.81 and the latest dvb drivers from CVS.
>
> After vdr completes an EPG scan it is not possible to view any channel
> anymore - that's obviously an already known problem. However, I'm
> wondering that a channel can be tuned, since I don't get the 'channel x
> not sync'ed' messages, but I still get no video or sound.
> I can replay recordings in this state, though, but usually the dvb
> driver goes into an ARM reset loop with final system lockup when
> performing some fast forward/backward playback actions.
>
> Vdr runs fine if the EPG scanner is switched off.
>
> When I switch channels manually I regularly get 'channel x not sync'ed'
> messages for certain channels, e.g. VOX. Tuning seems to succeed after
> 1 or 2 retries but after that I still get no video or sound. I've to
> switch forth and back to the desired channel several times until I can
> finally watch it. This is my main concern because if this happens
> for a scheduled recording it will probably not record the desired
> program.
>
> If you want me to test more stuff just let me know.

I spent several hours today trying to track this down.
>From what I can see the program hangs in the SEC_SEND_SEQUENCE call
(line 2130 in dvbapi.c of VDR 0.82). Since this "outcommand error" happens
deep inside the driver I have no idea what we could do to prevent this from
happening.

They did upload a new driver version today (after my tests), so I wasn't
yet able to check if this might have been fixed in the meantime.
We'll have to see...

Klaus