[linux-dvb] Re: Finding additional APIDS and how get the AC3 Stream to another device ???

Stefan.Hagendorn@lindy.cc wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> Thanks Klaus for this great work on VDR .. it looks really stable with the
> currecht driver and the possibility to add a additional APID to the Stream
> is great !!!
>
> -  Now the first question (or improvement) : How about setting additional
> APIDs (some Channels got up to 5 Languages)

Which channels are those?
And does it really make sense? I did think about the pros and cons of having
two or "any number" of APIDs and came to the conclusion that the usual application
would be for movies that are broadcast in a dubbed version plus the original
soundtrack. Having only a fixed set of two APIDs makes life easier on several
places in the program.

> - or better how about implementing a SI scanner to find additional APIDS ..
> (not for the whole channel only for the APIDs) this idea is from DTV which
> handles the APIDs with description very nice.
> - without a scanner .. how could additinal APIDs be found ???
> - are AC3 Streams like normal additional audio Streams

It will be one of my next steps to add two additional PIDS for the AC3 data
streams (so as with the "normal" audio there will also be room for "dubbed"
and "original" soundtrack).

> - AFAIK Pro 7 send on the AC3 APID when no AC3 Broadcast is running DD2.1
> ... Anyone can approve this ???

I'd also like to know that.

> - and after detecting a AC3 Stream when switching to AC3 while in replay or
> live mode .. how can I get the data ??? (just say i need to pipe it to an
> applikation)

I don't yet know what VDR will actually do with the AC3 data in those cases.
First it will record it and provide the necessary infrastructure to do so.
The next step will be to filter out the AC3 data upon replay and send it to
some program or device that will actually make it audible. I'll need to get
me an AC3 decoder to test this, though...

Klaus