[linux-dvb] AC3 output through soundcard (S-PDIF)

Now that VDR can record an AC3 stream, as far as I have understood Klaus,
the next step for VDR would be to output the recorded AC3 data somehow on
the soundcard. I wanted to help a little bit and did some research on this
topic.

I found some interesting code on the Creative Opensource Page. In the latest
driver snapshot
(ftp://opensource.creative.com/pub/snapshots/emu10k1-20010619.tar.gz) there
is a folder called emu10k1/utils/play-ac3, which contains code for a small
utility to output AC3 data on a soundcard. The drivers are for Soundblaster
cards only, but this code should also work with other soundcards. But
anyway, the market share of Soundblaster cards should be high enough to have
a solution for 90% of us. I had no chance to test it yet, because I don't
belong to this 90% who own a Soundblaster, but I ordered one.

It should be very easy to integrate this code into VDR.

Ralf.