[linux-dvb] Re: AC3 output through soundcard (S-PDIF)

Ralf Bauer wrote:

> Now that VDR can record an AC3 stream, as far as I have understood Klaus,
> the next step for VDR would be to output the recorded AC3 data somehow on
> the soundcard. I wanted to help a little bit and did some research on this
> topic.

Well, currently VDR can record two audio streams. You can, of course, set
the second audio PID to the AC3 PID, but I intend to introduce two additional
PIDs for that purpose. That way VDR can record two "normal" audio streams
plus two digital audio streams, in case all this is broadcast. The reason why
I need to have separate DPIDs ("Digital audio PID") is that I need to use
specific packet ids in the recorded PES file in order to filter out the
digital audio data when replaying.

So there is still a little work ahead before VDR can completely handle
AC3 sound...

> I found some interesting code on the Creative Opensource Page. In the latest
> driver snapshot
> (ftp://opensource.creative.com/pub/snapshots/emu10k1-20010619.tar.gz) there
> is a folder called emu10k1/utils/play-ac3, which contains code for a small
> utility to output AC3 data on a soundcard. The drivers are for Soundblaster
> cards only, but this code should also work with other soundcards. But
> anyway, the market share of Soundblaster cards should be high enough to have
> a solution for 90% of us. I had no chance to test it yet, because I don't
> belong to this 90% who own a Soundblaster, but I ordered one.
>
> It should be very easy to integrate this code into VDR.

I guess so. I will just assume that there is some device or program to
pipe the AC3 data into.

Klaus