[linux-dvb] Re: AC3 output through soundcard (S-PDIF)

Ralf Bauer wrote:
> there
> is a folder called emu10k1/utils/play-ac3, which contains code for a small
> utility to output AC3 data on a soundcard.
> It should be very easy to integrate this code into VDR.

I believe it is a good idea to simply plug that code
directly into VDR and thus enable VDR to play AC3
sound via a sound card.

Of course, VDR would need a setup setting that tells
it to either play ALL sound (normal and AC3) via the
sound card or play normal sound via the DVB-S card.
I assume that nobody wants to switch amplifier inputs
between recordings with normal sound and AC3 sound.

While I like the idea to get AC3 sound from VDR, I find
the current trend to NOT use parts of the DVB-S hardware
a bit unfortunate. It seem a bit of a waste to pay more
than 1000 DM for two DVB-S cards and not use the video
outputs on the secondary card, not use the sound output
on either card, etc.

Is the budget card fully functioning with VDR now?
Maybe I should sell at least my secondary card and get
a budget card instead?

Carsten.