[linux-dvb] Antwort: Re: AC3 output through soundcard (S-PDIF)

Hi all

>Ralf Bauer wrote:
>> there
>> is a folder called emu10k1/utils/play-ac3, which contains code for a
small
>> utility to output AC3 data on a soundcard.
>> It should be very easy to integrate this code into VDR.
>
>I believe it is a good idea to simply plug that code
>directly into VDR and thus enable VDR to play AC3
>sound via a sound card.

Uhmm bad Idea ... don't use a card specific code into VDR ... use something
which everyone can use (like it's own device or something) or maybe an API
specific part (like alsa)

>Of course, VDR would need a setup setting that tells
>it to either play ALL sound (normal and AC3) via the
>sound card or play normal sound via the DVB-S card.
>I assume that nobody wants to switch amplifier inputs
>between recordings with normal sound and AC3 sound.

No ... most cards with digital outputs got digital inputs as well .. and
can loop the input to the output the card I use or better the aplay (for
playing ac3 streams) mutes the digital input when RAW Data comes to spdif
out. Thats fine because I can mix any kind of additional sound to the live
sound (like mp3 or new mail notification ..)

>Carsten.

Greetings
Stefan