[linux-dvb] Re: How to make MPEG files from VDR files?

Deti Fliegl writes:
 > Thomas Nawrath wrote:
 > > I am running a VDR using VDR 0.72. How can I create MPEG files from the VDR
 > > files that VDR produces? I want to process the MPEG files using editing
 > > software.
 > Theoretically every MPEG-player should be able to playback VDR files as
 > they are ISO compliant. Actually it does not work properly with the
 > latest vdr/dvb-driver versions and so you have to remultiplex the audio
 > and video streams with the utility 'mplex'. It is part of the DVB
 > package (in the directory apps/mpegtools). You should call it with the
 > options -t MPEG2.
 >
 > btw: can anyone explain to me what's so special about the TS/PS stream
 > delivered by the dvb driver?

Due to the limitations of the DVB-s card we cannot get to the original
TS coming from the transponder. The TS has to be recreated from the
audio and video buffer of the card. That leads to problems with muxing
and leaves us without a usable PCR. This makes it also difficult to
transcode the "TS" into a PS.
The TS stream from the Nova cards on the other hand is just as we get
it from the transponder with PCR and everything. It should be much
easier to make a usable PS from that.
The other problem is that the most DVD players are very much optimized
on DVD streams (i.e. they expect packet size of 2048 bytes, a pack
header (containing an SCR)  before every PES and other stuff).
That speeds up the demuxing and synching process, but is not very
flexible.
In addition to that, there is the very likely possibility that a TS or
PS from the card contains errors which come with bad reception caused
by rain or misaligned dishes. The decoder in the card can handle
those, but many software decoders can't. (Hardware decoders like the
one in the Margi DVD-to-Go don't seem to mind too much).

Hope that clears up some things.

Marcus

Dr. Marcus Metzler
mocm@netcologne.de                     http://www.metzlerbros.de