[linux-dvb] Re: DVB-S in the US.

William E. Mrozinski writes:
 >    Some lock is closer than no lock at all!(g)  I monitor the /messages log
 > when I start the driver and vdr but 'channel not syncd' is all I have ever
 > received ( the rest of the startup is error msg free ) however I am 'new'
 > to linux too and that adds to the fun.  I've come a long way though, and
 > I'm pretty confident that my builds & setup are not the issue so I'll keep
 > trying ( maybe today even ).
 >
 >     I've even hardcoded NTSC in the driver code with the same results.  No
 > video ( no lock, duh ) but I can tell its pal from the 50hz scan lines on
 > my monitor.  I have a pip a/v mux and when I flip the video out from the
 > card to the small picture it confuses the analog pip and throws the big
 > picture into 50hz mode too.  You'll know it when you see it...  I think
 > you would see a ( corrupted ) picture if there is actual video signal; when
 > I throw my stb dvb into pal mode I see an extremely poor, short scanned,
 > but clearly there, video image on the NTSC monitor.  Looks just like the
 > current video out from the 2.1 version Haup card ( the new card ) sans
 > video image, of course(g).
 >
 >     I think that the card does not really make it to NTSC mode right now unless
 > the TS data can command it through its stream descriptions.  Forcing the settings
 > seems to have no effect to override the actual output mode prior to this
 > ( my big guess! )

Please try the latest CVS version of the driver. I just checked in a
new firmware which should now do auto switching between PAL and NTSC.
I tested it with 2 NTSC channels (thanks to the people who told me
where to look for them) and zapping between them and PAL channels
works fine. I tested it on version 1.3 and version 2.1 cards.

Btw., how did you try to switch to NTSC before?
The option for the SAA7146 driver will only affect output via overlay.
But without setting the AV7110 to the right mode you will get no
picture at all (not over composite or overlay) anyway.

Now somebody tell me where I can find channels with spectral inversion
in Europe and I'll take a look at that next.

Ralph