[linux-dvb] Re: DVB-S in the US.

Ralph Metzler wrote:

> William E. Mrozinski writes:
>  >     I think that the card does not really make it to NTSC mode right now unless
>  > the TS data can command it through its stream descriptions.  Forcing the settings
>  > seems to have no effect to override the actual output mode prior to this
>  > ( my big guess! )
>

> Please try the latest CVS version of the driver. I just checked in a
> new firmware which should now do auto switching between PAL and NTSC.
> I tested it with 2 NTSC channels (thanks to the people who told me
> where to look for them) and zapping between them and PAL channels
> works fine. I tested it on version 1.3 and version 2.1 cards.

Improvement!

The driver still loads as PAL, but switches to NTSC when I switch to a
channel.

The colors are correct.  The image flickers and is shifted about 20%
to the left.

When my monitor resyncs, "NTSC" appears on the screen and doesn't go
away.  Normally, that would only appear for a few moments -- like it's
fighting between modes.

I'm using vdr to view channels... with the cvs update, it now hangs
after initing... I have to "kill -9" to get it out of the queue.  This
must be the "channel 1 not sync'ed" problem I've been hearing about.
My previous cvs update was only a few weeks old, and it didn't have
this problem.

> Btw., how did you try to switch to NTSC before?
> The option for the SAA7146 driver will only affect output via overlay.
> But without setting the AV7110 to the right mode you will get no
> picture at all (not over composite or overlay) anyway.

Changed the Makefile to "insmod saa7146_core.o mode=1", as well as
changed the source file to default to "mode=1".  Also, in DVB.c, I
changed:

         dvb->playmode=VID_PLAY_NORMAL;
         dvb->vidmode=VIDEO_MODE_NTSC;

Rather than "VIDEO_MODE_PAL".

Should I back out these changes (I'll try that and see what it does)?

By the way, that "VID_PLAY_NORMAL" is not defined in my v4l (SuSE
7.0).  I looked thru the code, and "playmode" isn't used anywhere, so
I just set it to an arbitrary constant ;)

Thanks,

Chris