[linux-dvb] Archiving VDR recording on CD

Hi,

I'm looking for the best way to archive VDR recordings (recorded with
version 0.8x) on CD ... Please forgive me if this mail is off-topic :-/

I have successfully transcoded files using PVAStrumento and FlaskMPEG to VCD
so that I can play them using my DVD player (which unfortunately doesn't
support SVCDs). However, the quality (MPEG-1) is noticeably worse than SVCD
(MPEG-2) so I would prefer to convert to SVCD-compliant MPEG-2. This would
allow me to copy the files back from the CD to play them using VDR and if I
ever get a new DVD player or visit friends with a SVCD-capable DVD player,
the CDs can be played on the standalone player, too.

I tried to use the Cinemacraft and LSX plug-ins for FlaskMPEG. The LSX
plug-in isn't being recognized by FlaskMPEG and the Cinemacraft encoder will
crash as soon as I start the transcoding process in FlaskMPEG (I'm using
FlaskMPEG 0.60 under Windows 2000). So, I tried TMPEGEnc Beta 12h: it
produces a working output file that can be played using Elecard MPEG player
but if I copy the file over to my VDR machine, the playback will jerk a lot
and there are heavy audio distortions.

Is there any reliable way to produce SVCD-compliant streams that can be
replayed by VDR, too? If not, what other options are available (I want to
store at least 50-70 minutes per CD in SVCD quality)?

Regards,
hh