[linux-dvb] Re: Archiving VDR recording on CD

Hello,

On Wed, Jul 18, 2001 at 09:45:25PM +0000, Peter Hofmann wrote:

> did you check out my site
>
> http://www.pxh.de/fs/svcd/

Actually I tried it out and the results were, well, miserable :-)

The interesting part is, it seemed to work fine. The software-players I
tried all worked pretty well.

Then I actually burned it on CD and the playback on my DVD-Player was
strange. It seemed some frames were displayed in the wrong order. Very
strange. At first, I thought it was my DVD-Player or I did something
wrong. I tried several options for the decoding process, so I don't think,
I did something wrong. And then I tried replaying it through the
DVB-hardware and it had the same jumping picture. IIRC if I encoded it as
MPEG-1 stream the picture was OK, but the picture quality of VCD is less
than optimal.

Has anyone successfully transcoded DVB-recorded material to MPEG-2 and
could replay it trough the DVB-hardware? I think this is really strange as
software players worked fine.

On a sidenote I was not really satisfied with the audio sync. It drifted
apart and it was strange watching people talk and then actually hearing
them. As I understand it there is no currently available Linux software
that can remux MPEG streams without losing a/v sync and so I stopped
trying.

cu,
Lars

--
Microsoft is to software what McDonalds is to gourmet cooking.