[linux-dvb] Re: Call for the driver developers

> I also donīt understand why they allready change/implement new things and
dotnīt solve the "old knowīn Problems"

Have you ever written code for a commercial project? Oftentimes features are
more important than stability. The IFA fair in Berlin is just a month away
and they will focus on digital TV+Internet this year. It would be a shame if
Convergence couldn't come up with a nice demo then.

> For Example: Channel switching - everyone knows that the driver shut down
if you make heavy channel-Switching - they say - that there is no problem
known...

If they cannot verify the problems, what else should they say? We [you and
me] don't even know what hardware they are using.

> The Problem witht the CIīs - the "old CI-Support" isnīt realy good - but
the newer Camīs arenīt supported yet - no comment to this...

That's not true. Ralph sent a message to the list a while ago that CI
support has no priority at the moment and everyone is free to develop a
working CI stack ;-) BTW, the CI support in WinDVBLive is flawed, too. I
haven't tried the original software that came with my card but I think it
will crash the CIM, too. To me it looks like there are some inherent
problems inside the card that are difficult to handle.

> Perhaps i donīt understand you (Convergence), perhaps you have another
(stable) driver wich is not public - perhaps you donīt have the time to do
this  - but - a statement of you guys would be realy helpfull for all here
in this list !

You are right, but on the other hand: this is free software that comes
without warranty. If the driver developers don't like their project anymore,
they can stop working or publicly releasing their code right away. Second,
nobody stops you from writing your own firmware (this is the only part not
currently available to the public) and fixing the bugs in the driver. The
documentation for the card is freely available ;-)

Regards,
hh