[linux-dvb] Re: many trouble no way out

Michael Moster wrote:

> I'll be happy if somebody have some practical tips how to run dvb and vdr

> at system startup automaticaly (script?)

That's pretty easy. I run VDR on a dedicated machine.
The whole installation is less then 8 MB in size and is mostly based on
a busybox environiment. ReiserFS and NFS-export is also included.

Some hints:

- create the directory /lib/modules/2.4.X/misc  (replace X with your
subversion)

- change to the DVB/driver source directory and type 'make install'.
This will copy the drivers to the directory above

- create the directory /lib/DVB and copy the files "Dpram" and "Root"
from DVB/driver in it.

After this you don't need the DVB sources anymore.

To load and unload the drivers I've created the following rc-script:
(Attention: Some lines are wrapped! )

#!/bin/sh

case "$1"
in
	(start)
		echo "starting DVB drivers"
		insmod dvbdev
		insmod dvb_net
		insmod i2c-core
		insmod videodev
		insmod dvb_filter
		insmod dmxdev
		insmod VES1893
		insmod VES1820
		insmod stv0299
		insmod tuner
		insmod saa7146_core mode=0
		insmod saa7146_v4l
		insmod dvb_demux
		insmod dvb init_chan=2 readfirm=1

		mkdir -p /dev/ost
		for number in $(ls /dev/dvb/ | tr -d 'card')
		do
			for device in video sec qpskfe demux dvr audio ca osd
			do
				ln -sf /dev/dvb/card$number/${device}0 /dev/ost/$device$number
			done
		done
	;;

	(stop)
		echo "stopping DVB drivers"
		rmmod dvb
		rmmod dvb_demux
		rmmod saa7146_v4l
		rmmod saa7146_core
		rmmod tuner
		rmmod stv0299
		rmmod VES1820
		rmmod VES1893
		rmmod dmxdev
		rmmod dvb_filter
		rmmod videodev
		rmmod i2c-core
		rmmod dvb_net
		rmmod dvbdev
		rm /dev/ost/*
	;;
esac

My VDR-Start script looks like this:

#!/bin/sh

/etc/init.d/dvb start
/bin/vdr
/etc/init.d/dvb stop

The VDR script is started from (busybox-) init. Take a look to a part of
my initab:

---snipp---
::sysinit:/etc/init.d/rcS

vc/1::respawn:/etc/init.d/vdr
vc/2::respawn:/bin/sh --login
vc/3::respawn:/bin/sh --login
---snapp---

BTW. I don't use a password library on my VDR machine.
If somebody is interested, I can upload my minimized environiment.

Final: BE WARNED !!! Mistakes or typos in the initab or in the
rc-scripts can result in booting failures. (I build all my systems
myself and I don't use distributions so I know all the dependencies.)

Alfred