From: "Carsten Koch" <Carsten.Koch@icem.de>
To: <linux-dvb@linuxtv.org>
Sent: Monday, June 25, 2001 7:38 PM
Subject: [linux-dvb] Re: Internet via satellite.

Matt wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Nice but is that both ways or oneway ?

Currently, most of these services require a "normal" internet
connection for the uplink and only provide you with a downlink
via the satellite.

So, with ISDN and Starspeeder you wil have an upload speed
of 64kb/s and a download speed of "up to" 400 kb/s.

> EON will download at 2mb from their ftp site.
> EON at 400kbs is an ave figure based on next to no
> useage from other users (ie you share the network)

As I said in my first mail in this thread, when I tried
EON about a year ago, it was very unreliable and often
slower than 64kb/s.

> Starspeeder mention that they on ave have 400kbs but that is
> not a Service Level Gnt.

I guess you cannot guarantee it, unless you allow only
20 users per 8Mb/s transponder.
The question is: how many users per transponder DO they allow?
I would find any number < 125 acceptable, because that would
still give us better than ISDN performance in the worst case.

Carsten.

> The question is I think neither service offer a true upload and download
> 400kbs SLG.
>
> But I could be wrong.
>
> Regards
>
> Matt
>
> Carsten Koch wrote:

> > > Same like EON :-((
> > >
> > > I use the new Starspeeder - works realy fine (400kb/s).
> >
> > Sounds good.
> > Do you really get 400kb/s all the time (as long as the
> > other side is fast enough of course)?
> >
> > > But i donīt find a way jet to use it with LINUX....
> >
> > I checked their web pages.
> > On
http://www.internetvia-satellit.de/Funktion-star/voraussetzungen/body_voraus
setzungen.html
> > they say that it works under Linux.
> >
> > Have you simply not tried it or have you tried and failed?
> >
> > Has anyone else had any success with Starspeeder under Linux?
> >
> > Carsten.
> >
> > --
> > Info:
linux-dvb" as subject.

  | Carsten Koch                       E-Mail:  ckoch@ptc.com  |
  | Team Leader Surf Architecture and Graphical User Interface |
  | ICEM Technologies GmbH                Fax: +49-4286-1608   |
  | Waldsiedlung 7                      Phone: +49-4286-920001 |
  | 27404 Elsdorf-Hatzte, Germany        http://www.icem.com   |
linux-dvb" as subject.