[linux-dvb] Re: feature suggestion for vdr

> Hmmm, what I don't like about this is the fact that it breaks with
> the '*.vdr' extensions...
>
> Also: limiting this to one digit may sooner or later cause problems
> for somebody working with a very large installation.
> I'd suggest to keep the default resume file name as 'resume.vdr'
> and use arbitrary integer ids to identify different clients.
> If the id is '0', the default 'resume.vdr' will be used, and any
> non-zero value (e.g. '12') will result in 'resume.12.vdr'.

the limit to one digit is only because I was lazy in this first attempt
as well as breaking  the ".vdr" suffix. I only wanted to know if
someone else would find a feature like this useful.

> Well, why make it an integer anyway? An arbitrary string might be
> even more flexible. Could be the host name or a user's name.

> What I'm also wondering about is whether this should really be
> a Setup parameter, or rather a command line option? I would vote
> for a command line option, since there would already have to be
> several options in a multi user setup, and I guess that would be
> the right place for such a parameter.
>
> Any objections?

I was thinking about using a string too but then I thought
that an integer would be easier to change in the setup menu ('<' '>')

I had a (very theoretical, I admit  :) ) situation in mind when person A
starts watching a movie  on vdr-box 1 and continues
to watch it on vdr-box 2 while normally each box uses it's
own uniqe ID.

Martin

========== mailto:martin@hammerschmid.com ==========
=RSA-PGP-Key ID:0x81783FE7 DH-PGP-Key ID:0x6B66589A=