[linux-dvb] Re: Antwort: Re: Best sound card with S/PDIF output for VDR and AC3/DolbyDigital sound?

Stefan.Hagendorn@lindy.cc wrote:

> I agree ... :-)
>
> Robert: The cabel is included .. even it is a "low" quality optical cabel.

I personally believe that quality differences in optical
cables are a myth created by the vendors of the more
expensive cables. I bought a DM 6 optical cable for my
DVD player from Reichelt. I have no problems at all with
it, the sound is excellent and there are no dropouts.
I think it should not be too hard to transmit the bits
without errors. As long as that is the case, what difference
can a higher quality cable make (except for maybe looking
better)?

> Carsten: The advantages of a C-Media 8738 Card are the optical and kabel
> digital input and output and a very good driver and tool support by the
> ALSA Project ...

Is C-Media 8738 the chip name and Leadtek Winfast 4XSound
one card using the chip or is C-Media 8738 another similar
card altogether?

> Yiu can route the digital output of the dvb-s card into
> the digital input of the soundcard and connect the output of the card to
> your receiver .. this way you can hear the sound of the dvb-s card and can
> mix other data into it (like mp3). If you play raw-data (like ac3) the
> driver mutes the input and give you only the raw data at the output ..

Great idea!
That means I do not have to switch receiver inputs when
I play back an AC3 recording.

Can I keep vdr running with the -a "ac3play" parameter all
the time?

> I have that working error free with a Leadtek Winfast Soundcard which is
> about DM 65,-- at http://www.atelco.de.

Thanks!
I'll go to Hamburg on Wednesday and get one.

> There are some things that need to be considered when switching that all
> on, I will do a FAQ in the near future and will ask Stephan to put it on
> his FAQ site.

Wonderful!
I'd appreciate this very much.

Thanks,