[linux-dvb] Re: DVD playback support for VDR-0.84

Hi,

Jean-Claude REPETTO wrote:

[....]

>>did it work with dvdplayer-0.5 or with my patched dvdplayer version?
>>

> I have tested dvdplayer 0.5 vs 0.51 . The 0.51 works better than the 0.5,
> but there are the same problems than with vdr, even worse. The problem on
> the video disappears when there is no sound, and vice-versa. Perhaps the
> sound processing is time-consuming, and my Pentium 200 is not quick enough ?

That is very well possible. The AC3 generates about 25% CPU load on my
AMD K6-III 450. I was already thinking about load problems with AC3. The
big question here is, is the CPU really to slow or are we just to late
with delivering the stream.

Can you have a look at the CPU load when replaying? I have some ideas
how we could track this further, but i don't have the time to test those.

1. we would need a mechanism to detect underflows in the RingBuffer.
2. AC3 decoding should be done in a seperate thread, and not in the
input thread, but: How do we synchronize the resulting audio and video
stream then?

Andreas